Sunday 17 July 2011

The Wonder Stuff - Brixton Academy 24 October 1989
















In early 1989 I saw The Wonder Stuff on television doing Unbearable and was instantly taken with their jangly guitar racket, big hair and the ‘I didn’t like you very much when I met you, and now I like you even less’ chorus.  I mentioned them at work the following day and my boss told me that he had their album.  I borrowed The Eight Legged Groove Machine and that was me hooked.  Shortly after, they announced dates in London and I bought tickets for me and a friend.  It was my first visit to Brixton Academy and my first sighting of The Wonder Stuff live.  I have since seen them live more often than any other band - something like 20 times I think.  The support came from The Sandkings and Neds Atomic Dustbin.


Video is Unbearable - The Wonder Stuff

6 comments:

Drakeygirl said...

Good memories!
I just found a box of gig tickets in my loft and got a real headrush going through them.
There were a couple of Wonderstuff ones in there - including their 'farewell' gig at the Phoenix Festival.
Ah, the days when I was young enough and skinny enough to be able to jump up and down in the mosh pit for two hours. I could probably manage two minutes now...

Simon Morrison said...

Thanks DG. I have always loved that you can dance to them - up to that point most of my concerts had been Heavy Rock and headbanging is great an all but it ain't as joyous as dancing.

It seems so long ago now - my mate's Mum made us sandwiches to take!

Eric D said...

I was at that conecrt as well and I am pretty sure that the opening band was Thee Hypnotics..???

Simon Morrison said...

Hi Eric - I don't remember them and neither does the usually reliable room 512 dot com. That said, I have spoken at great length on here about how bad my memory is so you may well be right!

Unknown said...

I was there as well, had already seen the Stuffies a few times but was my first time at Brixton, Support was definitely the mighty Ned's Atomic Dustbin & The Sandkings (another great band, saw them a few times before jaz buggered off to form Babylon Zoo!!) It was the last time I saw the original stuffies line up with the Bass Thing, seen them loads since but never quite the same. Eight Legged is in my top two best albums alongside the first Clash lp. Good times

Anonymous said...

I was also at this concert and I'm certain support came from Eat and Neds atomic dustbin