Friday 15 February 2013

The Presidents of the United States of America - Brixton Academy, 8 July 1996

This is a ticket for one of only two gigs I have watched from the circle at the Brixton Academy.  On the one hand, the view is amazing and I get a seat.  On the other, it is so high up that I feel removed from the live gig experience.  Like watching it on TV only the band never look you in the eye.

PUSA were famous for five minutes in 1995/6 when they had hits with a handful of singles from their first album.  Lump and Peaches in particular are perfect slices of punky power pop.  I believe my sister organised this trip - it was certainly her that came with me.  I remember being hesitant because I'm always wary of going to see a band that has only released one album.  They'll only do 45 minutes, you know what you're going to hear and if you're lucky they might throw in a cover version for an encore.  I was persuaded however when it was announced that Kula Shaker were going to be the 'Special Guests'.  I know, I know, but I still really like some of the stuff off their first album.  And I like their version of 'Hush'.  Deal with it.

As for the gig?  I have only vague memories of sitting, I think, in the front row of the circle.  And that's about it.  Look, I promise I'll do one of these soon where I can remember something about the gig, OK?  Sheesh, get off my back already.


Peaches live at Pink Pop 1996

No comments: